Persian Cod With Herbs and Tamarind
In a 12-inch skillet (choose one with a lid), heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Stir in parsley, cilantro, scallions and fresh fenugreek or mint and cook until they start to stick to the bottom, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in dry fenugreek or mint, and black pepper, and sauté 1 to 2 more minutes, until starting to brown. Turn off heat and cover pan so that the steam releases any darker pieces that may have stuck to the bottom, about 5 minutes.
While herbs are cooking, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until dark golden brown, about 7 minutes. Stir in garlic and sauté for 2 minutes longer, then stir in turmeric and drizzle with a little more oil (this prevents the turmeric from burning); cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add red-pepper flakes and stir well. Stir in 2 1/2 cups water and bring to a simmer, scraping up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Let simmer for 1 minute. Pour onion mixture into skillet with herb mixture.
Return the heat under the skillet of herbs to medium and stir in tamarind paste, lemon juice and 2 1/2 teaspoons salt. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding sugar, more tamarind or both if necessary. You are looking for a balance of sweet and tart.
Drizzle herbs with 6 tablespoons oil, bring to a simmer, cover and continue to simmer very gently over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the oil separates and floats on top, about 1 hour. Taste again and adjust seasoning using more salt, sugar, tamarind or a combination.
Wipe out the 10-inch skillet and heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat until almost smoking. Season fish with salt and pepper to taste, then place skin-side down (if there’s skin) and cook until browned and crispy, 4 to 5 minutes. Do this in batches if necessary.
Use a spatula to transfer fish to the herb sauce, nestling it in so the crisp, browned side is facing up. Continue to simmer sauce and fish together until fish is flaky and cooked through, another 4 to 5 minutes.
Transfer the fish and sauce to serving plates, drizzle everything generously with oil, and serve with basmati rice on the side.
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- 1 quart chopped parsley leaves and tender stems (from 2 to 3 bunches)
- 1 quart chopped cilantro leaves and tender stems (from 2 to 3 bunches)
- 1 ½ cups chopped scallions (the whites and greens)
- 1 cup chopped fresh fenugreek leaves or mint leaves
- ⅓ cup dried fenugreek or mint
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 5 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons red-pepper flakes, or to taste
- ¼ to ⅓ cup tamarind paste, to taste (see note)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, plus more as needed
- Sugar, as needed
- 6 thick fillets of cod (6 to 8 ounces each), or other meaty white fish, such as halibut or striped bass, patted dry
- Cooked basmati rice, for serving