FAMILY-MEAL FISH TACOS
- Preheat oven to 350. Combine the chile powder, garlic powder, paprika, cumin and red-pepper flakes in a shallow dish. Season the fish fillets aggressively with salt and pepper, then press them into the spice mixture, turning to coat. Set aside.
- Combine the sour cream and the chipotles in a small bowl, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Cook the tortillas until they are toasted in a large skillet set over high heat, approximately 30 seconds or so per side, then stack them on a large sheet of aluminum foil. Wrap the foil around the tortillas, and place the package into the oven to heat.
- Turn the heat under the pan down to medium-high, and add a tablespoon of the oil and then the scallions. Cook these, tossing occasionally, until they are about to char, then remove and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and heat it until it begins to shimmer. Add the fish and cook until well browned and crisp, approximately 4 minutes per side. Remove from pan and slice into strips or simply break into pieces.
- Serve the fish with warm tortillas, garnished with the scallions, radishes, cheese and chipotle sour cream, and lime wedges on the side.
2 tablespoons chile powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon red-pepper flakes, or to taste
1 ½ pounds firm white fish fillets, like cod or red snapper, skinless
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 ½ cups sour cream
2 chipotle chilies in adobo, finely chopped, or more to taste
12 white corn tortillas
3 tablespoons neutral oil, like grapeseed or canola
6 scallions, trimmed and cut into 4-inch lengths
5 radishes, trimmed and sliced thin
8 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated
2 limes, cut into wedges